vhrr.com Forums  

Go Back   vhrr.com Forums > News

Old 23-05-2014, 12:23 PM
Grant Campbell

Default Australian Speedcar Championship

Tales of Jack, Thought you might like this.

Had to organise the Australian Speedcar Championship, at Avalon Speedway near Geelong.about five years ago.

As it was the 75th year of its running, I thought about Sir Jack being the patron as he was a past Speedcar Aussie Champion. Where to start? Found a site called living legends that handle these things. This was before I got back into road racing with the VHRR.

Had an email saying no go as Jack was ill. A week later I had an email from his wife saying Jack would love to come down and do it. I fell of my seat. So we flew the wonderful pair down, and the sight of Sir Jack sitting watching Speedcars, race, eating a bucket of chips with sauce, top shelf speedway fare, with a coke, blew me away.

Jack met the drivers and was assessable all night to well wishes and autographs. What got me was the next week, they were going to the Middle East to a F1 race as a patron. And yet Sir Jack enjoyed the dirt, dust, mud, at a Speedway track, as much as a VIP, at a GP with all that money could throw at.

That just teared me up.
Legend.

Regards David Crabtree