vhrr.com Forums  

Go Back   vhrr.com Forums > News

Old 22-05-2014, 08:57 AM
Grant Campbell

Default Vale, Sir Jack Brabham

Vale, Sir Jack Brabham. What a Driver, what a Man. I was so fortunate. I first met Jack Brabham, through my Grandfather, Arthur Martyr, who built a couple of TQ Midgets and Raced them at Traceys Speedway in Melbourne. I recall meeting the Winner,of the feature Race.

I was at Traceys with my Dad, who also knew Jack Brabham, I think that was about 1953 or 1954 and Jack gave me a pair of his mud spattered frameless clear plastic goggles,as a souvineer.

I followed his career, and Victories, from those days, and knew him well enough to say hello and be greeted by Sir Jack Brabham, whenever we saw each other, back then or much later at a Race Meeting or with him as a Guest at a Motorsport function, in Australia and overseas.

Always friendly, and he always had time to say Hello…I played golf, with David Brabham, when we were in Tasmania, about 1998 for the Targa Tasmania, and he had the same steely determination and even temperament as his famous Father.

It runs in the Family….

A picture I have of Sir Jack and Ron Tauranac,at Speed on Tweed, a few years ago, with those other Aussie Race Legends, Tony Gaze and Kevin Bartlett in the background. They should all have been Knighted for their Bravery and Skill.

Regards

Chris Smith