vhrr.com Forums  

Go Back   vhrr.com Forums > Members Cars

Old 06-12-2011, 07:26 PM

Default 1957 Triden (Ex.Driscoll/Tonkin)

In February 2011 I Obtained An Aussie Special Sports Race Car That My Father Ron Tonkin Built 50+ Years Ago. It's A 1957 'TRIDEN', Built Up From A 1949 Triumph Chassis With 1957 Era Holden Running Gear. The Car Was Fully Restored Some 10 Years Ago & Is Still Looking & Running Fantastic. The Car Is Now Currently Conditional / Historic Registered In NSW...

In 1962 This Car Was Sold By My Dad & Has Travelled From SA To WA, To Coffs Harbour & Was, Until Recently, Located Just Out Of Yackandandah, 30 Minutes From Home. It Was Owned By A Gentleman By The Name Of Graham Waller. He Used This Car To Race @ Historic Meetings (Class Lb) & Was Really Surprised When I Contacted Him About The Car. My Family & I Went Out To 'Check Out Dads Handy Work' When Disscussions Turned In To Negotiating A $$$ To Buy It. Anyways, I Felt It Was Uncanny That It Had Travelled Halfway Around The Country Over The Last 50+ Years & Ended Up Only 30 Minutes From Where I Live, Amazing Really!!! So, I Bought It, Ha Ha...

My Father Used To Make Fibreglass Bodies For The Early Elfin Clubman's & Alongside Some Big Names In The Day Used To Race Elfin Catalina's & Mono's. You Can See Some Elfin Influence In This Car I Think. It's A Pretty Amazing Story That I Love Telling, It Makes The Car Worth So Much More For Me Personally & My Family...

In My Research Over The Last Few Months, I've Been Amazed With The Amount Of Interest People Have Had With Dads Elfin's & This Car & The Amount Of 'Do Tell' Emails I've Received Has Been Overwhelming...

Anyways, There Are Still Many Untold Stories About This Car & Unfortunately I Can't Ask Dad As He Passed Away Some 15 Years Ago...

* Pic 1 Is An Early Photo From Mallala 1960 Before The Custom Body Dad Made Was Fitted To The Triden...
* Pic 2 Is Taken From Collingrove Hillclimb 1961 &
* Pic 3 & 4 Is The Triden Today

If Anyone Has Any Information Or Photos They Wish To Share, They Are More Than Welcome To Post Here

Cheers, Wayne Tonkin...
Old 06-12-2011, 07:29 PM

Default 1957 TRIDEN (Ex.Driscoll/Tonkin)

Click image for larger version

Name:	A 1960 Mallala 1960 'Triden' Without A Body 1 - Copy.jpg
Views:	752
Size:	310.2 KB
ID:	550

Name:	C 1961 C'grove Hillclimb 1961 - Copy.jpg
Views:	740
Size:	233.6 KB
ID:	551

Name:	M 019.jpg
Views:	765
Size:	308.3 KB
ID:	552

Name:	Pop The Top Festival 008.jpg
Views:	782
Size:	579.2 KB
ID:	553
Old 08-12-2011, 05:09 AM

Well put Wayne ...... great to see you are enjoying one of your dad's old cars.

Larry K
Old 08-12-2011, 11:45 PM

4 Sure Mate Lovin' It